Total Pageviews

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Alphabets and Fleams

I wrote a rhyme for an alphabet of Fleams.  This is how it goes:

A is  A cat with a fiddle (haven't they all?)
B is  Button Sarah, leaning on a wall
C is  Canholes Asylum, for the permanently off-beam
D is  Dickey, the skull who likes to scream
E is  Eagle and Child, a strange way to be found
F is  Fenny flying to Fairholme, under the mound
G is  Gracie Sweetheart, and her rescue-supplying rocket
H is  Haunting hare, with a key in her pocket
I is  Drum's Iron, spouting a tail of flames
J is  Jawbone band, known by many names
K is  Kibble, full of lead
L is  Long Meg, never really dead
M is Mermaid, sewing under the pool
N is  Needleworkers and their rule
O is  Oracle stones, made to divine
P is  Pie-Tree, they serve beer and wine
Q is  Quill, and ink made of gall
R is  Rush-bearing to freshen the hall
S is  Spinning Jenny spinning in the wood
T is  Toady Old Man with his safety hood
U is  Uncle Erik, a very wicked man
V is  Violets, Parma, I'm certainly a fan
W is  Winking Man, driven by pistons and steam
Y is  Yarb doctoring, don't leave it too late
Z is  ZZ dreamz of Fleamz, spied through the gate

This rhyme was written to be illustrated with my woodcut-style linocuts.  However, I have over-reached my current capabilities in this skill.  Although I can picture the required illustrations in my mind, I am not sufficiently capable at the moment to reproduce them to show them to you. 

I have been wrestling with the problem until it all became clear this morning.  Fuck Robert the Bruce and his spider, if at first you don't succeed, give up and move on, I say.  In Fleams they say "If it's too hard, it ain't worth a fuck".  No, hang on a minute, I may be misleading you.  I think, in fact, in Fleams they say  "If it ain't hard, it ain't worth a fuck".  But that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment