Total Pageviews

Saturday 1 March 2014

The Unbearable Smugness of Kate

I have been reading (or maybe browsing) my new book:

A New Book at Aimo's House
It's not that I want to be smug, but when I was reading it I couldn't help it when there was no mention of The Dark Angel (1989) (see post: Dark Angels, Black Bustles and White Cats), despite several mentions of Uncle Silas (1947).  Do I know something that Guillermo del Toro doesn't?  It's quite nice to think it's a possibility, in a smug sort of a way.  Also there is no mention of Wakewood in the "Children of the Night" section.

I have no choice but to think: those whippersnappers can't tell me about Gothic, I was around when Goth was born.  I was a student in Manchester 1984-87.  It was the Nineties before I could wear anything other than black, and then only purple (with black).  I remember this from when Goth started:

Some Magazine from the Olden Days
and wore only black denim for years.  Happily I can now wear indigo denim again, but it's been a long journey.

Also:
There is no mention of Kate Bush's videos, although the front cover shows Isabelle Adjani pioneering the look that Kate Bush made popular (with Goths).
Also:
There is no mention of The Craft (1996) or Practical Magic (1998).  Practical Magic might be more of a wholesome kitchen witch herbalist kinda thing; but they do murder a murderer, then resurrect him, then murder him again, and finally exorcise him.  I think that counts as Gothic.

How can you not mention The Craft, especially when discussing teen films?  It deserves a mention for one scene at least - a crazed teen witch laughing maniacally  on a beach full of stranded dolphins.  How can that not count as having a dark heart?  Of course, in Fleams we prefer our Goths on a beach to be more benign, pretty goths making sand art on deserted Scottish strands (see post: Goth on a Beach).

I haven't read the whole book yet, maybe when I do I'll find all these films, and then I'll just look daft.  Smug and daft, not a nice combination, but it happens more often than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment