Total Pageviews

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Magical Realism and Real Magic

Yesterday I was watching Practical Magic.  I love the film, and after watching it, and watching the "Making of ", I read the original book by Alice Hoffman.  I found that the film is completely different from the book.  The book is an example of magical realism, which I hate.  I would never knowingly read a magical realist-style book.  For some reason the style is known as magical realism, when the magic in it is not real.  I like real magic in my films and books (as in life).

A Real Magic Film
Someone decided when they were turning the book into a film they were going to turn the magical realism to real magic.  Good decision, that person.

The film also features gorgeous sets and costumes.  The two aunts wear nineteen-teens era clothes, which I think is my favourite era for historical costume.  The house, with it's kitchen, conservatory greenhouse, still-room, kitchen garden and flower gardens is quite a witch's dream.  (For witches who like big houses, rather than tiny cottages).  The botanicals shop is a witch's dream job and very beautifully presented.  The family spellbook is an inspiration, and not given nearly enough screen-time.  Make sure you catch all those bits!

Real houses, real jobs, real working in (or on the fringes of) the community, real herbs and spells, real magic.  A huge improvement on the book and its magical realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment