Total Pageviews

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Dark Angels, Black Bustles and White Cats

When I came back from the studio yesterday, two new DVDs were waiting for me on the doormat; The Dark Angel and one other, more later on that.  Starting watching The Dark Angel last night, after Waldemar Januscyck (I'm not sure about the spelling, but I can pronounce it) telling me about Dark Rococo:

Amazing
I have been looking for a DVD of this television series for a while.  I remember that me and Aimo watched it on television, and saw two out of three episodes, and I always wanted to know how it ended.  Now I see from the cover that it was first broadcast from 4 - 18 January 1989, which would be when we first moved to the cottage, and then we would have missed the last episode because it was Aimo's mum's birthday.  The gaps in the story are being filled in.  By the way, I'm only half way through the second episode, so don't tell me how it finishes.  I think it might be something to do with vampires.

I may only be thinking vampires because it is a film of a Sheridan Le Fanu story, and he is famously a bit vampirey:


A Bit Vampirey

I have his famous story Carmilla in this collection.  He was from Dublin, and wrote stories based in Ireland, but his publisher advised him to make his stories English if he wanted to have success in the English market.  In reworking a previous short story to write Uncle Silas (the book The Dark Angel is based on) he chose to set it in Derbyshire, which is cool.  When Bram Stoker, a later Dublin writer of spooky stories wanted to set a story in England, he chose Derbyshire for The Lair of The White Lair.  In such a way, Derbyshire becomes the classic setting for spooky stories, which is very handy for The Lost Book of Fleams, which, as you know, is set in the Three Shires area of Derbyshire.

By the way, Sheridan Le Fanu is a very cool name for the writer of vampirey stories, and is his real name.  His mother's name was Emma Lucretia Dobbin, which doesn't work as well.

p.s. The Dark Angel is brilliant, and I can't wait for Miss Aimson to see it, as she will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment