Total Pageviews

Monday 17 February 2014

Clouds, Carlos and the Truth

Last night I watched:

A Worthwhile film.
I seem to remember the reviews weren't too good when it came out.  I enjoyed it, but then I like a reincarnation theme.  It is in the tradition of Red Shift, and Ferney, which as you know is my favourite book ever.  I think I still prefer Ferney for several reasons. 

For one thing, I like the fact that the reincarnation in Ferney just is.  There are no pronouncements about life or love or anything.  They just are a couple who always reincarnate together, they just do.  The only "meaning" is that; it is the story.  That's the other thing: Cloud Atlas is a beautiful patchwork, montage, collage, or mosaic; but is a bit short on a storyline, or one overall narrative to grip you. 

But it was an enjoyable film to watch, with lots of good bits.  There was just a lingering sense of dissatisfaction that it was, in the end, a bit bitty. 

Something that stood out in the 1973 story was a mention of Carlos Castaneda.  I remember that from my 1970s childhood.  My dad had the books, and I tried to read them a couple of times.  Some seven years ago or so, my Dad gave me the books and I read them then:

Hey

Hey

Hippy

Shit.

I then read the book that changed it all for my Dad:

Oh Shit!
To him, it proved that it had all been a con, and not real at all.  He was very disappointed.  The book didn't totally convince me to abandon Carlos Castaneda.  I still think he has something worth saying, and maybe it is true ... in a way...

p.s. this was the bookmark in the first book, a bus ticket from the time:

20p!

No comments:

Post a Comment