Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 July 2013

A Common Orchid

So today when I was weeding the garden I found a wild orchid had grown in my flowerbed.  Here I was, still sad that no Ladies Smocks have arrived in my garden after nearly six, when an orchid had turned up!  How rare and precious I thought!  I rushed to look it up...
A Common Spotted Orchid - Dactylorhiza fuchsia is one of the commonest orchids growing in grassland on chalk and limestone.  Ladmanlow is on limestone.

You may have noticed that many people in Fleams are named after plants:  Japonica, Fennel, Eldrum and Ella Campane.

Japonica Bentley (Nica) for short is a lover of plants, and very knowledgeable about their uses.  She likes animals as well, so I'm sure she would like to see the hedgehogs under my shed, the toads and newts and the common lizard who calls around sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment