Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 July 2013

A Well-Dressed Well

The Well-Dressed Well is number 21 in Uncle Erik's Stone Oracle.  Here is a picture of Erik Campane, brother of Drum Campane:

 
He is pictured here with the wife and children he abandoned in Fleams when he went to travel the world in search of the masters (and especially mistresses) of the occult.
 
His divination system is explained in Kate W Aimson's seminal work "Uncle Erik's Stone Oracle", a Fleams Publication of 1912.

 
I thought of him as I strolled around Buxton today to view the well-dressings. 
I am pleased to report a total absence of biblical themes this year.  The Children's Well is very poignant; it has the theme of the army. 
So many of the children personally know young people who have left the town to go to war, and, of course, one of their ex-schoolfriends did not return.  The well-dressing is very touching, whilst not being grim.
St. Ann's Well has the theme of Pride and Prejudice (200th centenary of publication), which is very appropriate, but I do think they have missed a trick by not choosing to depict the famous "Mr Darcy in a wet shirt" scene, which would go well with the watery site.
The Market Place Well is a superb pro-evolutionary themed celebration of the discoverers of DNA, DNA itself and the wonder of Evolution.  Well done Well Dressing Committee!

Today is less sunny, but pleasant.  I am still using my summer handbag, with accompanying strings of bells.  I do like to tinkle while I walk.  In fact, I am fast approaching the age when it will be unavoidable.

See you soon with more talk of Fleams.

No comments:

Post a Comment