Total Pageviews

Sunday 1 September 2013

A Kick and a Punch...

... for the first of the month.  So it's September: Miss and Master Aimson's birthdays, and Miss Aimson is off to university.  A busy month.  It is also Wirksworth Festival, but I'm not in it this year.  I will be visiting instead to see Cheryl's work in the Church.  She is showing The House of Ra, should be good.
Here is a self-portrait by Miss Aimson, which I call her "Scary psycho-witch portrait":

Miss Aimson

 
Its the eyes, they follow you.

I am finally making progress with the book I bought on holiday, From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjon.  I bought it at the Hillbilly Bookshop at Gairloch, and couldn't get into it on holiday; in fact I bought and read another book while we were away.  From the whole of the gorgeous-looking bookshop, I selected From the Mouth of the Whale, then when I started trying to read it, I saw it was by the author of The Blue Fox, which I had previously bought and never got round to reading.  That kinda put me off, but now I am well on with the book, and will be finishing it.

A book I have nearly read

As it's a new month, I thought I might recap on what Fleams is, for any newcomers.  When we moved into our new house, I found a box of papers and artefacts in the loft.  Not too mysterious, you say.  Except that this is a new house, and we are the first occupants.  As I unpacked the boxes and opened everything up I discovered they had belonged to someone called Kate W. Aimson, who was a needlework scholar, psychic collector, and all-round explorer extraordinare.  The papers related to her discovery of the village of Fleams, somewhere in the mists, here in this part of North Derbyshire, around The Three Shires.  I think there was one copy of The Book of Fleams, which she presented to the village.  So now The Lost Book of Fleams is scattered here and there, like wisps of wool caught up on fences and thorns.  I am gathering it together and felting it into one piece.  I know it's shape and content, I just need to manifest it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment