Total Pageviews

Monday 27 January 2014

Art, Roller Discos and Gardens

We went to a family party in North Wales on Saturday night.  To bribe myself to do this, I promised myself a visit to the Ruthin Craft Centre on Sunday morning.  I always remember the centre as the place where we went on spec and saw Reggie's Roller Disco.  I still carry my ticket to Reggie's Roller Palace in my wallet, next to the photo of my kids:

My Favourite Exhibition

This time there wasn't anything that grabbed me like that, but I suppose you can't see your favourite artwork ever every time.  The main exhibition was ceramics, and I felt a bit dangerous around it, with a hangover and still wearing high-heeled boots as I hadn't brought sensible boots to change into with me.  You don't want to be wobbly and slightly dizzy near expensive ceramics.

One of the small exhibitions was this:

A Good Exhibition

It featured the work of an artist couple who were interested in myths and mythology and gardens.  I love the commitment of old style art where people completely went for it.  These two artists married, bought a place in Herefordshire and lived their art, making their home and garden part of it.  Fifty years later they have not just their art, but also a garden which they have made.  It's the opposite of short-attention span art, really concentrating on your own thing.  I loved it so much, I bought the book:

A Good Book
as a little vote of thanks for letting me know about Ronald and Betty Pennell and their work.



No comments:

Post a Comment